Tuesday, March 28, 2017

All Colors

March Beauties!

This is a barnyard mix of eggs with half being from Easter egger hens.  30 chicks hatched from the 48 eggs with 18 eggs being clears when I candled them on the 19th day and placed them on the hatching floor.  Not sure why I had so many clears other than I did notice several eggs were from the same hen.

The first of March had several cold fronts come through and I had the incubator in my unheated barn on the bench.  It's interesting how cold fronts effect the humidity levels, as a front came through the humidity was reading 0 and the alarm was sounding when I went to the barn of a mornings.  I added 2 tablespoons of water and this would raise the humidity up to the 30% range and drop throughout the day.  The first 13 days I added 2 tablespoons of water to the water channels daily to raise the humidity from a 0 ready of a morning.  After the 13th day I didn't have to add any water to the incubator and the we didn't have any cold fronts pass through our area either.

On the 19th day I added 4 tablespoons of water and the eggs were placed on the hatching floor.  When the lid was closed on the 19th day; the humidity was reading in the mid 40% range and it flucuated from 30-50% during the hatch at the end of the 21st day.  I did not lift the lid until the hatch was complete and I was ready to move the chicks to brooder box. 

I hope your egg incubation is providing good results and if you haven't tried the dry incubation method; please give it a try.  Dry incubation has increased my hatch rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment